Class 63 (men Only) RUM AND RAISIN BUNDT CAKE
350g Raisins 100ml dark rum
225g Butter, plus extra for the tin 175gm light Muscovado sugar
4 medium eggs 350gm plain flour, plus extra for the tin
7gm sachet fast action yeast 1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract 50 ml milk
100 gm light Muscovado sugar 50 gm butter
3 tbsp dark rum
1. The night before making the cake, mix the raisins and rum together and leave them to soak overnight stirring a couple of times if possible.
2. The next day, drain the raisins reserving any leftover rum. Put 200 gm of the raisins and the rum in a food processor, with the butter and sugar, and whizz until really smooth. Add the eggs, flour, yeast, baking powder, vanilla and milk with a pinch of salt and whizz again. Scrape into a mxing bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave at room temperature to rise for an hour.
3. Heat the oven to 170C and butter and lightly flour a large bundt tin (approximately 23cm). Fold the rest of the raisins through the batter, then spoon into the tin and smooth the top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool
4. Put the glaze ingredients in a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, then bubble together for a few minutes until shiny. Cool until it starts to thicken, then then pour over the cake to glaze. Cool until set.
Class 64 POUND CAKE
225g soft margarine
225g light muscovado sugar
225g self-raising flour
100g glace cherries, quartered
½ teaspoon mixed spice
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150C/300F/Gar Mark 2. Lightly grease and line an 8in deep round cake tin with greased greaseproof paper.
2. Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat well together until thoroughly combined. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
3. Bake for 2-2 ¼ hours, covering the top with paper after a hour to prevent the cake becoming too brown. When cooked the cake should be firm to the touch, and a skewer inserted into the centre will come out clean.
4. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for about 30 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.